Foot and ankle surgery is a specialized field that requires a surgeon with years of training, experience, and skill. That’s why it’s important to find the best foot and ankle surgeon in Maryland for your needs. Fortunately, with our experienced team of doctors at Howard County Foot & Ankle, you can rest assured that we’ll provide you with the best care possible.
When you need surgery, you want to make sure you have the best surgeon on the case. Your feet and ankles are essential to your mobility, not to mention your quality of life, so finding a skilled foot and ankle surgeon is essential.
When looking for foot and ankle surgeons in Maryland, consider these factors:
- Experience—Look for a surgeon who has at least 10 years of experience in their field. You don’t want someone who’s just starting out! Consider whether that surgeon performs many operations every year or few operations annually; that will tell you how often he or she practices what he or she preaches (or thinks he or she knows).
Finding the right podiatrist doesn’t have to be a daunting task.
You can narrow down your choices by following these tips:
- Start with online research.
- Check for board certification.
- Learn about their experience and what they offer, such as orthotics, custom insoles and other types of foot care products. You can also read patient testimonials to understand what patients think about the podiatrist’s office and services.
- Make an appointment for a consultation to meet with your potential foot doctor in person and ask any questions that come up during your research process.
Start with online research.
- Start with online research.
- Look for reviews on Google, Yelp, and other review sites to get an idea of the quality of service you can expect.
- Look at the websites of your prospective foot and ankle surgeons to see how they present themselves online. This will give you a sense of their professionalism and ability to create a well-designed website showcasing their credentials and experience.
Check for board certification
Board certification is not to be overlooked. Board certification means the surgeon has undergone rigorous training, testing, and continuing education in their field and is up to date on the latest techniques and technologies. It’s a sign that the surgeon is experienced, dedicated to their craft, and committed to ongoing education.
When looking for foot and ankle surgeons in Maryland who are board-certified by The American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS), consider:
- How long has it been since your surgeon received their ABOS certification? Do they still practice at an accredited teaching hospital? If so, what percentage of his or her patients are under age 18? If you’re considering having surgery yourself or with your child—or if you have any questions about what constitutes good care—ask those questions before meeting with any surgeon.
Learn about their experience.
When you’re looking for the best foot and ankle surgeons in Maryland, it’s important to learn about the doctor’s experience. The more years of experience they have, the better. Ideally, you want to find a doctor who has been in practice for at least 10 years and specializes in treating your specific condition.
If possible, look for a doctor who is familiar with your insurance coverage, too—it may be easier to get approved when you know no surprises are waiting down the line. Additionally, consider whether or not their type of feet and ankles matches yours; if they work primarily with athletes or older people with diabetes, then you might run into problems getting treated properly by them if those aren’t areas where they focus their practices most often.
Read patient testimonials.
- Read patient testimonials. Some of the best ways to get a sense of a doctor’s skills or bedside manner is through reviews from actual patients. You can read what others have said about their experience with your surgeon and see if there are any common themes that come up in multiple reviews.
- Look for positive reviews, but also look for negative reviews as well. If all of the reviews are glowing and don’t paint an accurate picture of what it’s actually like to work with this doctor, then it might be worth looking elsewhere before making your final decision!
Make an appointment for a consultation.
Next, you should make an appointment for a consultation. This is really important. It’s the first step to making sure that you’re in good hands and that they will be able to help you with your foot or ankle issue. You want a podiatrist who will listen to your concerns and take them seriously. Ask questions about their experience and qualifications as a doctor, but also ask about their philosophy and approach to treatment—this could be important if they use a different method than what you’d expect (such as surgery over conservative measures).
You should also ask about office hours and availability; some doctors might have more flexible hours than others so it’s best if the podiatrist has availability when it works best for you!
If you’re looking for the best foot and ankle surgeon in Maryland, our doctors at Howard County Foot & Ankle are skilled and experienced in helping patients regain their health and mobility after injury or illness has taken a toll on their feet and ankles. We have been providing compassionate care to patients in Howard County since 2010 and are proud of our high level of patient satisfaction.
So don’t wait any longer! Our experienced doctors can provide you with the highest quality of care, regardless of your foot and ankle needs. Schedule an appointment today and take the first step toward getting back on track with your feet.